As members of the International Union of Painters and Allied Trades, we have access to a variety of exclusive union benefits. This includes several scholarship opportunities for our children. Every year, our aspiring students have the opportunity to apply for two IUPAT scholarships – the S. Frank “Bud” Raftery Scholarship and the A.L. “Mike” Monroe/Ralph D. Williams, III Sports Scholarship. They are also invited to apply to scholarships sponsored by our partner, Union Plus.
The S. Frank “Bud” Raftery Scholarship was created at the 25th General Convention in August of 1984 in honor of the former IUPAT general president’s service to the union, his accomplishments and his progressive thinking. The S. Frank “Bud” Raftery Scholarship Fund grants 10 annaul scholarships of $2,000. All legal dependents of IUPAT members in good standing are eligible to apply. Applicants must submit an essay, not less than 1,000 or more than 2,000 words on an essay topic chosen by the IUPAT Scholarship Committee.
The A.L. “Mike” Monroe/Ralph D. Williams, III Sports Scholarship was introduced and ratified into the union constitution at the 1999 General Convention. This scholarship program was created to offer student athletes the chance to pursue their athletic ambitions while earning an advanced degree at an academic institution of their choosing. Each year, one applicant from each region is chosen to receive a $5,000 grant for his/her education. All applicants must meet the following requirements to be considered:
– He/she must be a legal dependant of an IUPAT member.
– The award is contingent upon the student enrolling in the school of their choice within one year of the award date or the award is forfeited.
– Applicant must supply a high school transcript.
– Applicant must supply a complete history of athletic participation and special recognition in high school.
– Applicant must be registered with the NCAA Clearing House and declare the athletic program in which he/she will be participating.
– A letter of recommendation must be submitted from the coach or athletic director of the institution the applicant has been accepted and has chosen to attend.
– A complete record of additional financial aid the student is receiving must be submitted.
Union Plus offers scholarships through the Union Plus Education Foundation. Since 1991, the Union Plus Scholarship Program has awarded more than $4 million to students of working families who want to begin or continue their post-secondary education. This scholarship program is available for IUPAT members and their children.
Don’t let summer fun distract you from the possibility of winning up to $4,000!
The Union Plus scholarship is competitive. Applicants are screened based on academic performance, social awareness, financial need and knowledge of the labor movement. It is recommended that applicants have maintained a GPA of 3.0 or higher. Essay submissions can account for up to 50% of your total score. All applicants are evaluated by a committee of impartial post-secondary educators. Please note that applications become available in mid-June and must be submitted by January 31, 2018.
For more information on the Union Plus scholarships, please click HERE.
For more information on how to apply for the IUPAT scholarships, contact your district council or local union.