International Union of Painters and Allied Trades (IUPAT)
District Council 88 Dallas, TX
Full-Time Organizer Job Description
The International Union of Painters and Allied Trades (IUPAT) represents a growing force of men and women in the United States and Canada who work in the Finishing Trades – Industrial & Commercial Painting, Drywall Finishing, Glazing & Glass Work, Trade Show Decorating, and Floor Covering Installation, and many more successful careers in the construction industry and industrial sector. The IUPAT is committed to representing, building power with and fighting alongside all workers in our industry; union-and non-union alike.
- Work with existing union members to develop a Volunteer Organizing Committee; will develop necessary tools to conduct and/or coordinate organizing trainings with new and existing leaders in our union;
- Assist in building internal organizing plan for the area.
- Builds strategic relationships with potential allies among labor, religious, ethnic, immigrant,, and other appropriate community organizations and leaders;
- Assist in mobilizing for union actions including community actions, phone-banking, leafleting, online outreach, site visits, home visits, etc.;
- Assist in organizing and coordinating large actions such as pickets, rallies, marches, and strikes;
- Perform administrative tasks necessary for organizing (such as maintaining databases, producing materials and correspondence);
- Any other duties/tasks as assigned as needed by the Lead Organizer or Business Manger related to campaigns, community functions, or operations of the Council.
- This position is jointly supervised by IUPAT and DC 88
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- A demonstrated commitment to union organizing, anti-oppression, or social movement unionism;
- Strong preference for individuals with previous organizing experience in labor, community, student, and/or social movement organizations or campaigns;
- Strong preference for someone that is bilingual and literate in English and Spanish languages
- Experience building strong internal union organizing through base building and membership leadership development;
- Strong preference for individuals who are familiar with the political landscape of Dallas;
- Strong coalition-building and facilitation skills across a diverse set of organizations and constituents;
- Experience organizing workplace and community actions with broad participation
- Experience with organizing construction workers, immigrant workers, and/or workers of color.
- An ability to manage multiple tasks and projects simultaneously and meet established deadlines;
- Willingness to work some weeknights and weekends;
- Willingness to respond promptly to e-mails, phone calls, and other forms of communication.
Salary and Benefits
Salary is competitive and commensurate with level of experience. Health, dental and vision coverage provided, paid personal time off as well as sick time.
Instructions for Applying
Interested applicants should submit a one-page cover letter, resume, and 2-3 references, with the subject line “[Your Name] Full-Time Dallas Organizer Application” to firstname.lastname@example.org